Peru is a popular travel destination for Payroll Rewards customers because of its many beautiful and historically significant locations. One of our clients is using their rewards points to visit a unique desert oasis: Huacachina, Peru.
Huacachina is a village surrounded by sand dunes in southwestern Peru — it's located roughly 3 miles from the city of Ica. Huacachina has only about 100 permanent residents.
3 Interesting Facts about Huacachina:
- The lake in the village was created naturally by underground aquifers but in 2015 local businesses had to start pumping water into the lake in order to sustain it.
- Huacachina has the largest sand dunes in South America which has led to sandboarding becoming a very popular activity in the area.
- Sand buggies are the most common way to explore the area and can be found throughout the village.
Get there faster and safer with these resources:
- A Traveller's Footsteps highlights things to do in Huacachina.
- Lonely Planet's detailed guide to visiting Huacachina.
- Earn points for your largest business expense.